General Counsel/Corporate Governance
- Serves as outside corporate counsel to the University of the Pacific, advising the Board of Regents and administration on corporate, tax-exempt, compliance and general business matters.
- Serves as outside general counsel to one of Northern California’s largest diversified petroleum distribution companies.
- Serves as outside general counsel to one of the largest homeowner associations in the State of California.
- Serve as outside general counsel to one of the largest competitive youth soccer organizations in California.
- Counseled numerous for-profit and nonprofit clients’ boards of directors on all matters of corporate governance and nonprofit and tax-exempt compliance matters including the proper handling of potential conflict of interest transactions.
- Lead counsel for client in serial acquisitions of similarly situated companies totaling 10 separate transactions in an approximately 24 month period.
- Lead counsel for borrower on its $75 million dollar credit facility.
- Negotiated and drafted $50 million dollar software service implementation agreement on behalf of a leading international software services and consulting company.
- Conducted successful merger of two nonprofit charitable social services organizations.
Professional, Community And Pro Bono Involvement
Second Vice Chair and Member of Executive Committee and Board of Directors, Sacramento Metropolitan Chamber of Commerce
Chair, Governance Committee and Member, Board of Directors, Downtown Sacramento Partnership
Member, Board of Directors, Impact Foundry
Member, International Advisory Board, McGeorge School of Law, University of the Pacific
Senior Fellow, Class XIV, American Leadership Forum, Mountain Valley Chapter
Former Co-Chair, California State Bar Corporations Committee
Honors And Rankings
Selected to Best of the Bar, Corporate Attorney, Sacramento Business Journal 2013, 2014 and 2015
Selected to Top Lawyers List for Business/Corporate Lawyers, Sacramento Magazine, 2015
Awarded Business Volunteer of the Year, Sacramento Arts and Business Council, 2005
LL.M., The George Washington University Law School, 1996
J.D., University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law, 1993
B.A., University of California at Davis, 1989
District of Columbia, 1994, Inactive
Chris Delfino provides counsel to Boards of Regents and university and college administrators on corporate governance, including advice regarding shared governance. Higher education institutions seek his expertise on nonprofit corporate and tax-exempt compliance matters including the proper handling of potential conflict of interest and excess benefit issues.
Chris also advises institutes of higher education in the negotiation and drafting of all manner of agreements including vendor and contractor agreements, joint venture agreements, affiliation agreements, grants, software implementation agreements and licensing agreements.
Speaking Engagements / Events
Negotiating and Drafting Software Implementation Agreements, Association of Corporate Counsel, Sacramento Chapter
Strategies for Maximizing the Board’s Value in a Large Not-for-profit Organization, National Association of Corporate Directors
“Serving on a Non-profit Board,” Society of Corporate Secretaries and Governance Professionals, Southern California Chapter
“Conflicts Issues for Business Lawyers,” Sacramento Bar Association, Tax Section
“Mergers, Acquisitions & Joint Ventures in the United States,” Madrid, Spain, Spanish-American Chamber of Commerce/PromoMadrid Conference
2002, 2003, 2005
“How to Form a Nonprofit Organization,” The Learning Exchange
“Public International Law,” University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law and University of California, Davis School of Law
“Ethical and Practical Issues for Lawyers Serving on Nonprofit Boards,” Sacramento County Bar Association, Business Law Section
“Association and Philanthropic Foundations,” California Society of Association Executives
“Public International Law,” University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law
Adjunct Faculty Member
“Annual Legislative Update of California Business Law,” Sacramento County Bar Association, Business Law Section
University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law, Vis International Commercial Arbitration Moot Court Team
“Agreements, Institutions and Functions of the World Trade Organization,” U.S. Embassy-Cairo, Egypt
“U.S. and International Trade Law and Policy,” Kiev State University for Trade and Economics, Kiev, Ukraine
The American University, School of International Service, Washington, D.C.
Professional Lecturer in International Law
Serving on a Nonprofit Board – Are You at Risk for Penalty Taxes? – Co-Author
Business Law Alert
Giving Away the Company: Employee Stock Options and Repricing Considerations – Co-Author
Business Law Alert