J.R. Riddell is a seasoned litigator with a proven track record handling high stakes business and employment litigation for corporate clients and individuals. Drawing on more than two decades of courtroom experience representing clients as both plaintiffs and defendants, J.R. advises clients regarding the merits of their legal positions and looks for opportunities to resolve disputes short of litigation. When litigation is merited, clients rely on J.R.’s broad experience representing public and private sector clients in all facets of litigation.
J.R. frequently advocates for clients in business and partnership disputes, breach of contract actions, employment claims, and wine-related matters. J.R. has represented clients in several high profile cases in California and other venues across the country. The National Law Journal, the Daily Journal, Law360, and Sacramento Magazine have recognized J.R.’s litigation results by conferring on him top verdict and lawyer accolades.
Before joining Delfino Madden, J.R. practiced law at the international law firm Orrick, Herrington, & Sutcliffe, and gained litigation experience prosecuting cases as a Deputy District Attorney. Additionally, J.R. was an active duty officer in the United States Air Force stationed at The Pentagon and overseas.
Outside of work J.R. enjoys spending time with his family, traveling, working on old Land Rovers, and venturing into the Sierra back country.
- Fortune 100 software company. Successfully represented client resolving state and federal litigation against the State of Oregon related to the development of Oregon’s health insurance exchange; defended client against federal government’s claims of pay discrimination.
- Wineries. Represented well-known Amador, Napa and Sonoma wineries in a variety of transactional and litigation-related matters.
- Employers. Conducted impartial workplace investigations (as an Association of Workplace Investigators Certificate Holder) evaluating complaints and claims of employee/executive misconduct; successfully defended against race and gender-based pay disparity claims.
- Breach of Contract/Trade Secrets. Tried a weeks-long trade secret misappropriation and breach of contract federal jury trial, securing a nationally recognized “top” defense verdict. J.R. also orchestrated his client’s counterclaim damages case, which resulted in a $52.8 million damage award.
- Chinese Manufacturer. Represented one of China’s largest building materials companies in complex federal multidistrict litigation involving allegations of defective drywall.
- City of Stockton, California. Served as a trial attorney in Stockton’s Chapter 9 bankruptcy proceeding that garnered national media coverage.
- Other Matters.
- Served as counsel for a CEO and business owner in a bitter dispute over the ownership and corporate governance of a technology company.
- Successfully defended a group of the top video game manufacturers against tort claims based on allegations of video game addiction.
- Obtained writs allowing financial institution client to secure defendant’s assets valued at $120 million, leading to defendant’s willingness to settle early and on favorable terms.
- Prosecuted criminal cases to conviction as a Deputy District Attorney at the Sacramento County D.A.’s Office.
- Served as the chief MMA legal correspondent and analyst for ESPN.com/Sherdog.com, and represented top MMA promotions and world-ranked fighters.
- J.D., Georgetown University Law Center, 2000
- Certificate, International Legal Studies Program, University of Salzburg, Austria
- B.S., Florida State University, 1993
- California, 2003
- Louisiana (inactive)
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of California
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana
- United States District Court for Middle District of Louisiana
- United States District Court for Western District of Louisiana
Honors and Recognition
- Sacramento Magazine Top Lawyer
- Law360 Top IP Verdict
- Verdict Search Top 100 Verdicts
- National Law Journal and Daily Journal Top Verdict
- Honorable Discharge, United States Air Force Captain