Delfino Madden attorneys advise clients on compliance issues related to California’s numerous and constantly-changing labor laws and corresponding federal requirements. We work with our clients to meet their legal obligations while continuing to operate their businesses efficiently and productively. We provide a practical approach that anticipates, and helps to prevent, employment-related problems. Our employment law counseling and advice practice includes:
- Employee handbook and policy review
- Managing employee performance issues, discipline and terminations
- Responding to workplace violence concerns
- Staff training, including sexual harassment prevention training
- Employee leaves under the Family Medical Leave Act, California Family Rights Act, California Pregnancy Disability Leave and similar laws
- Fair Employment and Housing Act and Americans with Disabilities Act compliance
- Meyers-Milias-Brown Act compliance and MOU negotiations
- Wage and hour compliance
- OSHA claims prevention and representation
- Coordination of mass layoffs and reductions in force
Employment Litigation Defense
Our attorneys regularly appear in state and federal courts to defend employers against all types of employment litigation including discrimination, harassment, retaliation, breach of contract, wrongful termination, whistle-blower, wage and hour and PAGA claims. We represent private employers in various industries including retail, health care, banking, higher education, construction, agriculture, professional services and transportation. We regularly engage in alternative dispute resolution, such as mediation and arbitration, when it is appropriate for the matter and our client’s business needs. We also represent local public agencies and districts in the Skelly process and post-termination due process hearings.
Our employment law attorneys regularly represent clients in complex wage and hour class action litigation, and have successfully opposed motions for class certification in state and federal courts. Because of the complex nature of these cases, we engage in early evaluation and factual investigation to effectively analyze class size, exposure and potential damages to develop defense strategies.
We also appear before a variety of governmental administrative agencies and boards, representing clients during audits and investigations including the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the California Occupational Safety & Health Administration, the California Department of Industrial Relations (Labor Commission), the federal Department of Labor and the Public Employment Relations Board.